2016-01-02

Go with the flow

First of all, happy new year 2016! Yay!

I got the following Kohler hand-shower in Christmas to replace a generic made-in-China cheapo hand-shower.



While this Kohler product is mainly plastic, the whole thing feels reasonably well-made.

One characteristic I really like is that, during the selection of spray pattern settings, there is an audible metallic click from some sort of ball-lock mechanism.

One of the reasons I selected this product is the fact that it is a low-flow water-saving shower. It is advertised as 2.0 G/min., or 7.6 L/min. on average. Upon installation, I am surprised this feature is actually a hindrance. The flow is simply too low for my instantaneous gas water heater to reliably function. 

I did a general search on this issue, and found that the only surefire way to resolve this issue is to remove the flow-limiter built into the hand-shower. 

As always, I tried my best to research on this before actually attempting the removal. Apparently, there are mainly 3 types of flow-limiter:



Time to look at mine. It's easily identifiable at the inlet of the hand-shower.



I used a dental-pick to remove first the retaining ring and then the actual flow-limiter.



It seems this is the turbine design, with reverse-flow prevention. 



This is complete disassembly, FYI. 



Flow-rate is significantly higher now.